I didn’t splurge too much this month but I did get some really awesome books I am excited to sink my teeth in. Some of them, I have read and wanted for my collection.
I’m excited to read Control both because of its author and the content. Emerald Green I have already read and loved. Review will be posted closer to release date. Gorgeous and Open Straight were both unsolicited copies from Scholastic Canada as were Tarnished, Mending the Moon and The Planet Thieves which were sent by Tor. A Fool’s Errand, the second one in Maureen Fergus’s Gypsy King series was sent by the publicist after I, you know, asked her for it. I’m quite excited about that one.
Twilight, I bet some eyebrows rose at the book considering I haven’t made my disdain for it a secret. But it was given to me by friends in the MACL program because I’m going to be using it in my thesis and they found a secondhand copy at a thrift store. Zach’s Story was published by the CWC Society that I do editing work for and this is a student story that won a prize and they had it bound and illustrated. It’s a holocaust book and while I don’t know the literary merits of it, it’s quite beautifully bound.
The Butterfly Mosque by G. Willow Wilson
I’ve been meaning to read this one for ages and I finally couldn’t resist it so I bought it!
Tiger Lily – Jodi Lynn Anderson
I’ve read this and adored it even though it broke my heart to so many pieces.
The Day Before – Lisa Schroeder
Read this one too and adored it so when I found it at a thrift store in new condition, I snatched it up for my collection.
The Queen of Attolia – Megan Whalen Turner
I’m a bit sad that the first two hardcovers don’t match the latter ones but now I have the first four, though I know two or more are still in the works. But since each book is a complete story on it’s own, I’ll probably start reading this sooner rather than later.
The Jewel of Kalderash – Marie Rutkoski
Rutkoski is a good writer, this much I knew, so I was utterly bemused by the insanity that was The Shadow Society. But that aside, I have now the complete trilogy and can read the second and third books. Eventually.
These all the books I got for this month. What’s new on your shelves?
Now for the wrap up! 39 books read this month. They are, in no particular order,:
- The Hallowed Ones – Laura Bickle
- The Murmurings – Carly Ann West (ergh)
- Transparency – Frances Hwang
- Chantress – Amy Butler Greenfield
- White Crow – Marcus Sedgwick
- Basho and the Fox – Tim J. Myers
- The Reluctant Dragon – Robert D. San Souci
- The Ladder – Halfdan Rasmussen
- Zen Ties – Jon J. Muth
- The Ruby in the Smoke – Phillip Pullman
- All Our Yesterdays – Cristin Terrill
- The Girl with the Silver Eyes – Willo Davis Roberts
- The Bitter Kingdom – Rae Carson
- Spirit and Dust – Rosemary Clement-Moore
- The Burning Sky – Sherry Thomas
- Golden – Jessi Kirby
- Love Among the Particles – Norman Lock
- Zenn Scarlett – Christian Schoon
- What I Did. – Jason
- Outcast – Adrienne Kress
- Goodbye Tsugumi – Banana Yoshimoto
- The First Escape – G. P. Taylor
- Good as Lily – Derek Kirk Kim
- Handbook for Dragon Slayers – Merrie Haskell
- Fragments – Dan Wells
- Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things – Ted Naifeh
- You Don’t Know Me – David Klass
- Night of the Gargoyles – Eve Bunting
- The Pirate’s Wish – Cassandra Rose Clarke
- Emerald Green – Kerstein Gier
- The Sweet Dead Life – Joy Preble
- India Black – Carol K. Carr
- Bind Willow, Sleeping Woman – Haruki Murakami
- The Shambling Guide to New York City – Mur Lafferty
- Enchanted Inc. – Shanna Swendson
- Mountain Echoes – C. E. Murphy
- The Tiny Wife – Andrew Kaufman
- Lady Lazarus – Michelle Lang
- The Runaway King – Jennifer A. Nielson