So you guys, I’m down with a cold which comes with a horrendous cough that won’t let me sleep. That means I have had four hours of sleep snatches here in and there per night for three nights. This also means I’m grumpy and cannot taste food or swallow it for that matter. I’ve eaten so many halls and fisherman’s candy that my tongue is cut and I’m just miserable.
But on the bright side, I’m reading good things? That is a bright side, right? So here are all the books I read last week and yes, they are many but several of them are picturebooks which don’t really take up that much time to read:
- Mr. Fox – Helen Oyeyemi
This was fantastic and I shall do a review on it. Eventually.
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane – Neil Gaiman
This took me the longest while to get into but I did eventually and ended up liking it quite a bit.
- The Queen of the Tearling – Erika Johansen
Review will be up.
- I Sweep the Sun Off Rooftops – Hanan Al-Shakyh
I’ll review this.
- Resenting the Hero – Moira J. Moore
- The Hero Strikes Back – Moira J. Moore
- Heroes Adrift – Moira J. Moore
- Heroes at Risk – Moira J. Moore
Ignore the horrendous covers. These books are less romance and more high fantasy. They’re are short ( 320 pages average, mass market paperbacks) and pack a punch. I’ll do a series review once I’m done reading the other three books left in the series.
- The Melancholic Mermaid – Kallie George
- The Lonely Book – Kate Bernheimer
Also cute though it didn’t work as well as I had hoped, for me anyway.
- Dangerously Ever After – Dashka Slater
Alternative princess. Beautiful illustrations.
- The Girl Who Wouldn’t Brush Her Hair – Kate Bernheimer
Loved this one. The art was out of this world and the story was cute too. Understated.
- The Story of Fish and Snail – Deborah Freedman
This was cute, metafictional stuff but did not really push the envelope as far as it could have gone.
- Nasreddine – Odile Weulersse
Diverse picturebooks ftw!
- Mr. Wuffles – David Weisner
Weisner’s latest. Just as unexpected as his others but somehow not as enticing.
- Wild – Emily Hughes
OKay, I LOVED this one enough that it’s going on my wishlist. The art, the story, everything about this was brilliant. Get yourself to a library and read this one.
Now on to the books that I am currently reading:
- The Oversight – Charlie Fletcher
I did not pick this up at all last week. I feel guilty.
- Light Boxes – Shane Jones
- Heroes Return – Moira J. Moore
- The World’s Wife – Carol Ann Duffy
Apart from The Oversight the rest of the books are relatively short and should not take m that long to read. However, I have started working on my revisions so I probably won’t get as many books read as I wish to. However, I went to the library and picked up some how holds, plus the review books that need to get read, the choices are many. So this week I won’t choose in advance what I’m going to read. I’ll just pick it up as I finish these books and you can find out in the next reading forecast – unless this cough kills me and then you will wonder for the rest of your lives. Hah.
Have a good reading week.