Another Monday!! There seem to be a lot of Mondays around. It is sort of like a coven of Mondays. Yep. A coven of Mondays and a shade of Tuesdays and a flash of Fridays. Yay. Okay. I should stop. I will stop.
Reading Forecast. But first, I must speak about all the reading I did last week. I read so much it’s crazy. I mean, I read mostly manga and graphic novels and the odd book here and there but still. Here they are:
- Over Easy – Mimi Pond
So initially I didn’t like it but it grew on me gradually. Review soon.
- The Viewer – Gary Crew, Shaun Tan illus.
So I went to a friend’s place and he handed this one to me saying this is the creepiest picturebook I’ll ever come across. I read it and I have to agree.
- When You Were Little – Sara O’Leary, Julie Morstad illust.
This was seriously beautiful. Read it if you can find it.
- The Bride of the Water God – Mi-Kyung Yun (first five volumes)
This was a re-read for me and boy, did it lose lustre on the second reread. The art is still superior to many other manhwa out there but the story is severely lacking.
- The Minstrel and the Dragon Pup – Rosemary Sutcliff
This was an old-timey sort of classic that my friend Janet recommended. I liked it well enough.
- The Housekeeper and the Professor – Yoko Ogawa
This one was perfect. I loved it.
- Penelope Crumb – Shawn K. Stout
Eh. This was cute but too young for me.
- Pika Ichi (first 5 volumes, scanlated version) – Youko Maki
I really liked this and hope this is licensed in English so I can buy it.
- Tiara (first 5 volumes) – Kara
I loved this even more and I seriously hope this one is licensed as well.
- Snow Like Ashes – Sara Raasch
I ended up liking this a whole lot more than I thought I would. Review soon.
- Rules of Summer – Shaun Tan
- The Thickety – J. A. White
I loved this one. Review at The Book Wars this Wednesday, probably.
- Cautionary Fables and Tales: Africa – Various
I need to hunt down the first volume and read it as this one was fantastic.
- A Face Like Glass – Frances Hardinge
I just finished this and it was so brilliant.
What I Am Currently Reading:
Well, I’m still reading The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. I should finish it in two weeks or so. I just a little bit of it every day. And I have yet to pick up The Hero of the Ages after starting it. Not because I don’t want to read it but because I haven’t been in the mood for it. That may change in the coming week – or it may not. We’ll see.
What I’m Going to Read in the Next Week:
- The Year of Shadows – Claire Legrand
A spiffy middle grade that has been on my list for a long while.
- Dorothy Must Die – Danielle Paige
I’m really curious about this one. And I have a fondness for Oz because of Gregory Maguire so I must needs read this. Also, it’s checked out from the library.
- The Secret Hum of a Daisy – Tracy Holczer
I have an uneasy feeling that I should have read this long before now. Ah vell.
- Beauty Queens – Libba Bray
The only Libba Bray book I haven’t read and I’m going to rectifying that by doing a buddy read with Yash. I’m excited!