Paperback, 272 pages
Expected publication: March 3rd 2015 by Chronicle Books
Source: Raincoast Books
I love little books like this one. They work so well as gifts to give a bff you love or something to flip through when you have had a fight with a friend and it’s beyond you to think of a reason you are still friends with them. Hey, these things happen. Now, Friendship is… lists about 500 reasons friends are good and has cute cartoons that accompany these reasons. I do think that many of these reasons are just repetitions with a word or two changed but hey, I am not complaining too much. I enjoyed this little book and was inspired to make a list of my own. So, *clears throat* here it is:
10 Reasons Nafiza Appreciates Her Friends
- Fangirling buddies. I met some of my oldest and closest friends on a forum for this obscure make-believe Korean couple. Yes, I’m still ashamed by how immature I was but since it brought me these ladies, I don’t regret anything.
- People to talk books with. Really, almost all the people in my life know of my bibliophilic tendencies but only my MACL people actively encourage me in it. Thank you. I love you guys.
- Share foodie adventures with. My friend Teng and I have illusions of being foodies and we try to check out as many different places as we can. Since she is now in Ottawa and I am here in Vancouver, we only have that luxury a couple times a year but it’s all the more special for it.
- Skype Dates. Really, this one is Teng again. Sometimes technology fails us and then we flail.
- Viber sticker conversations. It is entirely possible to have an entire conversation in stickers.
- Bookstore shenanigans. Who else understands how it is to go in a bookstore, pick up a book, caress it, whisper to it, hug it and then tearfully put it back promising to be back one day when there is actual money in the wallet and not make-believe money.
- Someone who laughs (loudly) at your mistakes and keeps you humble. Hubris, man. Avoid it. Friends help.
- Someone who gives good advice. Even when you don’t ask for it.
- Someone who tells you the honest truth even when you don’t want to hear it.
- Someone who believes in you when the entire world seems to be against you. When you feel like a failure and think you are going to die in a cardboard box on a rainy day.
There are tons more reasons but I reckon these ten will do!