I had an unexpectedly productive week of reading week last week. I didn’t at all feel like reading but I persisted and finished the book I was reading at the time and then suddenly, I felt like reading all the things. I read:
- Poems Written in Discouragement by W. B. Yeats
I’m not sure this really counts as a separate volume since it is really slim but it does count as an introduction to Yeats and I really liked what I read.
- Suburban Haiku – Peyton Price
People who relate to what she is talking about will probably enjoy it more than I did.
- Get Over Yourself (Princeless vol 2) by Jeremy Whitley
- Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop
I really enjoyed this one.
- The Last Time We Say Goodbye – Cynthia Hand
Everything hurts. This was so painful to read because the sincerity in the author’s words was so apparent and then I read the author’s note at the end and…gah.
- A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas
I really enjoyed this elaboration of a fairytale. I’ll read the sequel.
- Weird Sisters by Raisa Maksimilianovna Nemchinskaia
Gah, this was a difficult name to write down. A slim volume of very interesting poetry.
- Exquisite Corpse by Penelope Bagieu
This was a wonderfully fun graphic novel. I’m part of the blog tour and the review will appear on The Book Wars on May 4th I believe. Or 7th. One of those days.
- Women Who Wear the Breeches by Shahrukh Husain
A collection of short stories by a Pakistani writer who collected and transcribed the stories she heard from different people into a book. I’m reading this with my mom and am still on the introduction.
- The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley
I’m about 20 pages in and already people are dead and dying and other people are taking over. It’s a beast of a book and I’m not sure how I will feel about it once I’m done. We’ll see.
To Read in the Coming Week
I will be impressed with myself if I finish The Mirror Empire because as I said it’s a beast. I read one chapter of The Luminaries and put it aside because it bored the socks off me. Honestly, I’m going to have to force myself to go back to it. I do think that I’m going to attempt to read some shorter books while I’m reading The Mirror Empire. I’m also going to be starting Hope and Other Luxuries by Clare Dunkle. My friend and I are reading 150 pages/week and it’s a whole 550 pages so…yeah. Here are the titles:
- The Physik Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
- Dragons Beware by Jorge Aguirre
- Salad Anniversary – Machi Tawara
- SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki