Monday rolls around and with it, the time for the weekly reading report. Last week was a reading week. Behold the titles I read:
- Thousand Cranes – Yasunari Kawabata
This was okay but a lot was lost in translation/context/culture.
- Elena Vanishing – Elena and Clare Dunkle
- If There Is Something To Desire – Vera Pavlova
An occasional glimmer of brilliance but on the whole I was left unmoved. I think the fault lies in me.
- Uprooted – Naomi Novik
Just as good as all the blurbs say it is. Get your copy now.
- Only the Good Die Young – Chris Marie Green
Finally an urban fantasy heroine who is level-headed for all that she is a ghost.
- Another One Bites the Dust – Chris Marie Green
The sequel was interesting, not as good as the first one. Curious though that both love interests were wrapped up and now Jensen is a free…um, ghost.
- Giants Beware! – Jorge Aguirre
I enjoyed this one.
- The Poet Slave of Cuba – Margarita Engle
Nearly killed me. This was a difficult book to read.
- Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis – Wendy Cope
This was hilarious. I enjoyed it.
- Seriously Wicked by Tina Connolly
This was okay. I will review it over at The Book Wars.
I am currently reading:
- Eolyn by Karin Rita Gastreich
I’m about halfway through and have mixed feelings about this one. Hopefully I will finish it this week.
- Pyongyang – Guy Delisle
I know many people have trouble with Delisle but I really like his graphic memoirs.
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
I’m only about 8 pages in but I like the unhurried narrative tone. This will take ma long time to read and I’m okay with htat.
- The Haunting of Page MacKenzie
I just started this one. I hope it’s amazing.
To Read in the Coming Week:
- Twinkle, Twinkle by Kaori Ekuni
- Thief’s Covenant by Ari Marmell
- Brown Girl Dreaming – Jacquelin Woodson