Due to a combination of no desire to read and no time to read, I didn’t get much reading of actual novels done last week. I did manage to read quite a few graphic novels though and so do feel productive about the week despite evidence to the contrary. Here are the titles I managed to get done:
- Miss Don’t Touch Me vol. 2 – Hubert
I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I did the first one.
- The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories – Tim Burton
After you get over the quirky eccentricity of the first story, the rest seem rather formulaic.
- Shirin and Salt Man – Nilofar Shidmehr
This novella in verse was fascinating. It made me want to read more about Shirin and Farhad.
- Briar Queen – Katherine Harbour
Though I see the crossover potential in this series, the effort it takes to read to this to fully enjoy it requires a patience that most YA novels don’t cultivate. I enjoy the mythology immensely and I reckon if this was marketed more aggressively as YA, the series would see better sales.
- Ayakashi Hisen vol. 1-4 – Kyoko Kumagai
I am enjoying this series though I worry it will take a step into predictable shoujo territory.
- The Wild Swans – Jackie Morris
I enjoyed this retelling. There’ll be a review of it on the book wars this Wednesday.
- Adrian and the Tree of Secrets by Hubert
This one was so desperately sad. Poor Adrian.
- Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
I’m in the last stretch and should hopefully, apocalypse preventing, finish it this week. I’m enjoying it tremendously and am glad I’m taking my time to read it.
- The Library of Unrequited Love – Sophie Divry
This is only 93 pages long but I’m having a difficult time getting into it. Mostly because I keep falling asleep while trying to read it.
- Poisoned Blade – Kate Elliott
I’m reading this manuscript because I’m lucky like that. :3
To Read in the Coming Week:
- The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman
The library wants this back. Soon.
- The Woman in Black – Susan Hill
I feel like a scary read.
- The Scorpion Rules – Erin Bow
- An Inheritance of Ashes – Leah Bobet