And it’s Monday again. Oh Monday, the rapidity with which you show up is alarming. But it’s a rainy Monday and *shudder* a cold one. I like the cold and I don’t mind the rain except when I have to go out in it. Oh but since I’m a Vancouverite, I had had no choice but to embrace the rainy nature. Gosh, the rain is terrible right now. Stop. Okay, sorry, sometimes I get carried away talking about the weather. Comes with being Canadian, I guess.
Here are the titles I read last week:
- The Fat Kid by Paul Vermeersch
This is a compelling collection of poems centralized on a one person. It was sad.
- The Scorpion Rules – Erin Bow
Excellent book. My review should be up on The Book Wars by now.
- Locke and Key vol 1: Welcome to Love Craft – Joe Hill
Freaked me out. I mean, it’s fairly run-of-the-mill horror but had more of an impact in its medium. I don’t want to read anymore of this series.
- The Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry
This was okay. Not as much fun as I had hoped it would be.
- Friday Barnes, Girl Detective – R. A. Spratt
I adored this MG title. A review of it shall be up in January.
- The Rose That Grew From Concrete – Tupac Shakur
Reading this was an experience.
- The Marvels – Brian Selznick
Enjoyed this one.
- Good Omens – Neil Gaiman
Loved this one as well.
- The Sleeper and the Spindle – Neil Gaiman
Loved the way Gaiman conflated two tales.
- Poisoned Blade – Kate Elliott
Very good. Enjoyed this one immensely.
So I’m currently reading:
- Sum: 40 Tales from the After Lives – David Eagleman
This is fascinaaating. I know I say this about all the books I read but it truly is.
- Kappa – Ryunosuke Akutagawa
I’ve just started this so I can’t really say but I think it’s sort of a Swiftian book where society is critiqued by looking at a fantastical, mythical, expression of it re: Kappas.
- The Golden Specific – S. E. Grove
I’ve not yet read a page of this but I have high hopes it will be as good as its predecessor.
I want to read:
- Path of the Sun – Violette Malan
- Illuminae – Amie Kaufman
- The Inheritance of Ashes – Leah Bobet