And so I had an insanely productive reading week. It was good but I think I overdid it. However, I need to read 3 more books before the year is out. The books I read are:
- Hold Your Own by Kate Tempest
Gorgeous poetry that sometimes smacks you on the upside of your head with its profundity.
- What a Wonderful World vol. 1 – Inio Asano
Eh, I enjoyed this one but not as much as I did Solanin.
- Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest by Nancy Springer
Yeah, no. Not my thing. I mean, I finished it but gosh.
- Covenant’s End by Ari Marmell
- Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
I was strangely underwhelmed by this one and I’m thinking it was maybe the romance but I don’t know? Maybe?
- The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard
This was gorgeous and pleasing until the end which…just fell flat. I didn’t like the end because I felt like I had been led to a precipice and then just told to go home.
- The Astrologer’s Daughter – Rebecca Lim
This was most excellent and received 5 stars from me.
I’m currently reading:
- Caligula by Suetonius
This LBC is an excerpt from a bigger work I believe concerning the biography of Gaius Ceaser who was known as Caligula and was a monster in man form. Let’s all be glad he’s dead and Trump is not taking notes. We hope.
- A School for Brides by Patrice Kindl
I’m only um 2o or so pages in but it’s so adorable that I can’t handle it.
- Young Hee and the Pullocho by Mark James Russell
Young Hee has yet to grow on me but I do so like the little stories at the end of each chapter.
- Wake of Vultures by Lila Bowen
I’m only on page 38 but definitely enjoying myself. It’s still too early to say whether this will remain the case all the way through but I have hopes.
- Dance Dance Dance – Haruki Murakami
I’m 196 pages in and the story finally has a direction and is gaining some momentum. The protagonist is still weird but I’ve reconciled myself to his quirks.
- Shantaram – Gregory David Roberts
I’ve read 36 pages which means there are a 900 more left to read. This book will be a feature of the reading forecast for some time, I can tell. Still, chapter one was quite good.
To Read in the Coming Week:
The books mentioned above. I don’t think I’m going to be starting any new ones, honestly. Apart from reading another volume of What a Wonderful World by Inio Watase.