So I usually spend my new year’s eve casually. I’m the kind of person who doesn’t understand why people need to celebrate the oncoming of a new year. It is just time passing, ya know? Still, if we measure time in the number of pages read or the books I have held close or the stories I have found myself in, I guess the year does gain meaning. So this post will be an attempt by me to meander along my reading adventures particularly in December since I have yet to do a roundup for it.
Some statistics first:
I got 229 books in 2015. Of these:
- 58 books were ARC copies for review.
- 107 books were finished copies for review.
- 29 books I received as gifts and
- 35 books were ones I purchased. (A very low number. The lowest ever, perhaps.)
Of the 229 books that came my way, I read a 100. I also gave away 75 books for various reasons but mostly because I don’t keep ARC copies.
On January 1st, I have 500 books in my TBR pile? (More like mountain.)
Now for the actual reading report and I will be depending on Goodreads for this statistic:
- I have read 512 books this year which makes for
- 114, 088 pages. It’s strange because in 2012 I read 436 books and read 121k pages. I don’t know how that’s possible but eh.
- The shortest ‘book’ was 8 pages and titled Poems Written in Discouragement by W. B. Yeats. The longest one was 896 pages and a bindup of the first two Dhulyn and Parno novels by Violette Malan.
- The average rating (on GR) for me is still 3.8 which makes sense because I have no problems at all DNFing books I can’t get into.
Now for December in particular:
I read the following titles:
- The River and the Book by Alison Croggon
- Across a Starswept Sea – Diana Peterfreund
- Young-Hee and the Pullocho – Mark James Russell
- Mechanica – Betsy Cornwall
- Three Tang Dynasty Poets – Wang Wei
- Cast in Honor – Michelle Sagara
- Love You, Hug You, Read to You – Trish Habe
- Noah’s Ark – Michelle Knudsen
- I’m a Monster Truck – Dennis R. Shealy
- Shhh! This Book is Sleeping! – Cedric Ramadier
- Wake of Vultures – Lila Bowen
- Dance, Dance, Dance – Haruki Murakami
- Wailing Ghosts – Pu Songling
- Nijigahara Holograph – Inio Asano
- Caligula – Suetonius
- The Astrologer’s Daughter – Rebecca Lim
- The House of Shattered Wings – Aliette de Bodard
- Passenger – Alexandra Bracken
- Covenant’s End – Ari Marmell
- Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest – Nancy Springer
- What a Weird World! Vol. 1 – Inio Asano
- Hold Your Own – Kate Tempest
- One More Thing – B. J. Novak
- The Dark Days Club – Alison Goodman
- Monochrome Kids vol. 1-5 – Ryoko Fukuyama
- A Madness so Discreet – Mindy McGinnis
- High Maga – Karin Rita Gastreich
- The Tea Party in the Woods – Akiko Miyakoshi
- QQ Sweeper vol. 1-3 – Kyousuke Motomi
- The Radiant Road – Catherine Catmull
Not a bad list, if I do say so myself. Now for the book haul:
Happy new year’s day to you all. I hope 2016 is full of good reads and inky fun.