It’s Sunday, almost 11 am and I have been up since 7 for reasons I don’t understand. My body thinks 7 am is the correct time to wake even on weekends and I have issues with that but EH. I’m old.
Anyway, I read a whole lot of picturebooks last week cuz I needed to review them so there’s that. And I read more books but let’s go through them a book at a time.
- Blackmoore – Julianne Donaldson
This was okay? I mean, technically it was rather simple and obvious but had a charm to it that I associate with years of conditioning to accept English stories as the best stories because hegemony, yo! To be honest, the characters weren’t complex, the female antagonists illogical–and just. Yeah. Donaldson has a remarkably low opinion of sisterhood and female friendship despite this book being somewhat of a feminist (faux-feminist? pseudo-feminist?) text.
- Vano and Niko – Erlom Akhvlediani
I have no idea what these short story fragments do or come together as but I had a lot of fun reading this translated collection. Well okay, I like the Vano and Niko bits. The later stories got repetitive and boring–I think they might have had a charm in their use of language but that got lost in translation. Still, this was my first book by a Georgian author so that’s that.
- Design for Dying – Renee Patrick
I enjoyed this one. I should have a review of it up on Book Wars this Tuesday.
- Safari – Surya Pinto
- Pets – Surya Pinto
- Dog’s Day Out – Surya Pinto
- Cat’s Playgroup – Surya Pinto
- Duck, Death, and the Tulip – Wolf Erlbruch
- The Only One – Guojing
- Wytches vol. 1 – Scott Snyder
- Mabrook – Na’ima B. Robert
- I is for India – Prodeepta Das
- The Cold Kiss of Death – Suzanne McLeod
I’m currently reading:
- Roses and Rot – Kat Howard
I’m 128 pages in and…while the writing is beautiful, the story is something I have read a hundred times over. Sigh.
- It Ain’t So Awful, Falafel – Firoozeh Dumas
This is heaps of fun. I’m 99 pages in and enjoying it in long sips here and there.
- Modern Romance – Aziz Ansari
I’m 160 pages in and I’m not enjoying this as much I had hoped I would. But more on that in a review when I have finished the book.
- The Anatomist’s Wife – Anne Lee Huber
- A Gathering of Shadows – V. E. Schwab
That’s what I’m reading and will be reading in the coming week. Hope you have a good reading week as well.