It’s that time again! And I read lots of books last week! I don’t know why I use so many exclamation marks when the most I can be moved to in real life is an “eh.” But what I really want to talk about are the books. They are:
- Korean Children’s Favourite Stories – Kim So-Eun
I enjoyed this immensely.
- Vietnamese Children’s Favourite Stories – Phoc Thi Minh Tran
I liked this even more because girls got their own stories instead of just being wives and plot twists in men’s stories.
- A Gathering of Shadows – V. E. Schwab
Intense. Bloody intense. I liked Lila a lot more in this one.
- Words – Lora Rozler
This was okay.
- Emily of New Moon – L. M. Montgomery
Hm, nope. It had its strong points but majorly nope. I will have a discussion on this over at The Book Wars sooner or later.
- Little Red Gliding Hood – Tara Lazar
Frackin fantastic. I loved this picturebook.
- The Ballad of Black Tom – Victor Lavalle
I have thoughts on this. I need to write them down for a snapshot on The Book Wars.
- Grayling’s Song – Karen Cushman
Review over at The Book Wars soon.
- Roses and Rot – Kat Howard
- The King of Attolia – Megan Whalen Turner
I haven’t read any of this yet but I’ll make short work of it once I start reading it, that’s for sure.
- The Whatnot – Stefan Bachmann
- Stiletto – Daniel O’Malley
- The Mysterious Benedict Society – Trenton Lee Stewart
- Mad Kestrel – Missy Massey
I’m about 200 pages into this one and enjoying it immensely.
- The Vegetarian – Han Kang
- Once was a Time – Leila Sales
- A Brief History of Seven Killings – Marlon James
I have only read 16 pages and gosh, this is intense. Brutal, explicit, heartwrenching and beautiful. It’s going to wreck me.
To read in the coming week?
All of these, of course. And maybe some others if these don’t work for me.