I had an interesting reading week which is to say I took my time reading, DNFed a whole lot of books that didn’t work for me for various reasons. I’m a ruthless DNFer because I operate on the principle that there are too many books in the world that I want to read for me to waste my finite time on the mediocre ones. Mediocre to me, mind you.
Anyway, here are the books I did manage to read last week:
- I read How Mirka Caught a Fish by Barry Deutsch, the third in a graphic novel collection about Mirka, a Jewish girl who has adventures of the magical kind.
- Finished Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart. Happy to report that it picked up in the second half but I still don’t love it.
- Finished The Vegetarian by Han Kang. Yep, still disturbed.
- Continued and finished One was a Time by Leila Sales. Loved it.
- Read Binti #1 by Nnedi Okorafor. It was lovely and I can’t wait for the sequel.
- Sweater Weather by Sara Varon. This was okay. Not as fun as I had expected it to be but it provided some appreciated laughs.
- Here I Am by Patti Kim. A wordless picturebook that speaks loudly.
- The Star-Touched Queen by Roshni Chokshi. I loved the worldbuilding and the writing is exquisite. It was a bit mushy but I can live with that. Review on The Book Wars someday soon.
- Shadow Queen by Deborah Kalin
Just a few pages into this and I’m liking the writing and the setup so I’m cautiously optimistic.
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making – Catherynne M. Valente
That title is a mouthful and then some.
- A Drop of Night – Stefan Bachmann
I read his other book week before last so I may as well read another by him. ^^
- Black Wolves – Kate Elliott
I have trust in Kate’s writing but male protagonists don’t do much for me. Still I’m only on page 48 right now so there are more than 700 pages to go so…
- The Dragon of Heaven – Alyc Helms
Hmm. I don’t know. I’ve read only a few pages but I already have mixed feelings. We’ll see.
- Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms – Fumiyo Kouno
A manga volume I know nothing about.
- A Brief History of Seven Killings – Marlon James
I read two chapters. Progress!
- Dara Palmer’s Major Drama – Emma Shevah
I super enjoyed Shevah’s past title so I reckon I’m going to like this one a lot too.
And there you have it. The books I’m reading and intend to read over the course of the next week.