April was a time of tumult and madness. Not really. It was just not my favourite month but it has passed and I read a lot of good books.
- A Short History of Fantasy by Farah Mendlesohn
- Paper Girls vol. 1 – Brian K. Vaughan
- Paper Girls vol. 2 – Brian K. Vaughan
- The Cold Eye – Laura Ann Gilman
- Underground – Haruki Murakami
- Animal Ark – Kwame Alexander
- Colette’s Lost Pet – Isabel Arsenault
- Take It As a Compliment – Maria Stoian
- The Gauntlet – Karuna Riazi
- NewsPrints – RuXu
- Arabella of Mars – David D. Levine
- A Perilous Undertaking – Deanna Raybourn
- Heartstone – Elle Katharine White
- Fuzzy, Furry Hat – Etienne Delessert
- Do Not Bring Your Dragon to the Library – Julia Gassman
- Miss Muffet or What Came After – Marilyn Singer
- Shrill – Lindy West
- Dear Ijeawele – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Reflections – Diana Wynne Jones
- The Door in the Alley – Adrienne Kress
- Dream Fossil – Satoshi Kon
- Compass South – Hope Larson
- The Island – Alison Croggon (short story)
- Cast in Flight – Michelle Sagara
I accomplished a number of things in March. One, I finished the first draft of The Fire Within. Two, I read 22 books. I’m quite pleased with myself. Of course the high number is due to the many picturebooks read but still, achievements are achievements.
(I also re-caught a cough so there’s that.)
Here are the titles I read:
- I’m Judging You – Luvvie Ajayi
- A Curious Land – Susan Muaddi Darraj
- The Lonely Hearts Hotel – Heather O’Neill
- The Road Home – Katie Cotton
- Pandora – Victoria Turnbull
- If My Love Were a Fire Truck – Luke Reynolds
- Princess Cora and the Crocodile – Laura Amy Schlitz
- Lint Boy – Aileen Liejten
- This Is How We Do It – Matt LaMothe
- Real Friends – Shannon Hale
- The Bear and the Nightingale – Katharine Arden
- bone – Yrsa Daly-Ward
- Wires and Nerve vol 1 – Marissa Meyer
- Cigarette Girl – Masahiko Matsumoto
- How to Find a Fox – Nilah Magruder
- Puss and Boots – Ayano Imai
- Dream Big, Princess – Andrea Posner-Sanchez
- Lila and the Crow – Gabrielle Grimard
- The Last of August – Brittany Cavallaro
- FukuFuku – Kanata Konami
- Seventh Day – Yu Hua
- Questions for Ada – Ijeoma Umebinyuo
My reading this month wasn’t as great as it could have been but I have had such a wonderful track that I can’t complain too much. I mean, it was a deliberate choice to slow down on the reading which, you know, I’m okay with doing at the moment. I’m sure I’ll fling myself back into my favourite past time soon enough but right now, let’s take things easy.
I read 37 books this month. Of these:
- 12 were from my TBR pile
- 4 were from the library
- 3 were rereads
- 18 were borrowed (manga)/ sent to beta read (manuscript)
I received 17 books this month.
- 2 were purchased
- 15 were sent for review.
The TBR pile stands at 513.
Books read this month:
- The Storybook Knight – Helen Docherty
- Curious George – H. A. Rey
- Buried Heart – Kate Elliott
- The Inconvenient Indian – Thomas King
- Clariel – Garth Nix
- Magic Binds – Ilona Andrews
- Down with the Shine – Kate Karyus Quinn
- Citizen – Claudia Rankine
- Unspoken – Sarah Rees Brennan
- Untold – Sarah Rees Brennan
- Unmade – Sarah Rees Brennan
- The Elephant Who Wants to Fall Asleep
- Wonder Women – Sam Maggs
- Wee Gallery: Jungle – Surya Sajnani
- Wee Gallery: Farm – Surya Sajnani
- Hunting – Andrea K Host
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus – Mo Willems
- Rad Women Worldwide – Kate Schatz
- Komomo Confiserie vol 1-5 – Maki Minami
- Seiyuu Ka vol 1-12 – Maki Minami
- Petty Treason – Madeleine E. Robins
- Women in Science – Rachel Ignotofsky
September might have been my worst reading month of the entire year but there are 3 more months left in the year and I might surprise myself. I am caught in a reading slump of sorts. Or perhaps I have just stopped reading fast. Whatever it is, it takes me forever to finish a book now because I just don’t gravitate towards reading as much as I did. Maybe it’s a temporary thing. I hope it’s a temporary thing. I don’t know.
Here are my stats for the month:
I read 19 (eep!) books last month. Of these:
- 6 were from my TBR pile.
- 12 were from the library.
- 1 was a reread.
All were physical copies except for one.
I received 22 books this month.
- 1 was purchased.
- 16 were requested/accepted review copies.
- 5 were unsolicited review copies.
The TBR pile currently stands at 510.
These are the titles I read in September:
- Death Wears a Mask – Ashley Weaver
- A Useful Woman – Darcie Wilde
- Heroine Complex – Sarah Kuhn
- The Girl Who Drank the Moon – Kelly Barnhill
- Champion of the Rose – Andrea K Host
- Vassa of the Night – Sarah Porter
- Bones of the Fair – Andrea K Host
- The Art of Subtext – Charles Baxter
- Heartless – Gail Carriger
- The Clever Little Witch – Laeve Baeton
- Snow Bears Never Lie – Said
- The Swan Riders – Erin Bow
- The Fantastic Adventures of Baron Munchausen – Heinz Janisch
- Beautiful Bastard – Christina Lauren
- A Little Taste of Poison – R. J. Anderson
- The Adventures of Miss Petitfour – Anne Michaels
- Heartless – Gail Carriger
- The Diary of Ma Yan – Ma Yan
- A Front Page Affair – Radha Vatsal
July just whirled past us with all the grace of a grey elephant (not that elephants are any other colour). Here are the deets:
In July, I read 29 books. Of these:
- 13 were from the TBR
- 16 were from the library.
- 6 of the 29 were e-books.
I acquired 18 books this month. Of these:
- 4 are ebooks.
- 4 I have already read.
- 8 were for review.
- I purchased 10.
The TBR pile stands (sadly) at 500 (not including ebooks, let’s not include those).
Books I read in July:
- From the Charred Remains – Susanna Calkins
- The Rose Garden – Susanna Kearsley
- Saga vol. 3. – Fiona Staples
- Saga vol. 4 – Fiona Staples
- Saga vol. 5 – Fiona Staples
- Bonfire Night – Deanna Raybourn
- Grief is the Thing With Feathers – Max Porter
- Bright Smoke, Cold Fire – Rosamund Hodge
- Gotham Academy vol. 2: Calamity – Becky Cloonan
- 100 Million Years of Food – Stephen Le
- Finnikin of the Rock – Melina Marchetta
- Waistcoats and Weaponry – Gail Carriger
- The Perilous Life of Jade Yeo – Zen Cho
- The Bird and the Sword – Amy Harmon
- Manners and Mutiny – Gail Carriger
- Graffiti Moon – Cath Crowley
- salt. – Nayyirah Waheed
- Clean Sweep – Ilona Andrews
- Sweep in Peace – Ilona Andrews
- The Summer of Ubume – Natsuhiko Kyogoku
- The Art of Perspective – Christopher Castellani
- Home – Sarah Prineas
- Nobody’s Baby But Mine – Susan Elizabeth Phillips
- The Masque of a Murderer – Susanna Calkins
- The Battle of the Labyrinth – Rick Riordan
- The Last Olympian – Rick Riordan
- Ink and Bone – Lisa Unger
- Point of Honour – Madeleine E. Robins
- Devil and the Bluebird- Jennifer Mason-Black
Half of the year is gone way too fast. I’d say more but I’m fasting and I have no energy. So let’s get on with this wrap up.
In June I read 34 books. Of these:
- 20 were from the library.
- 14 were books from the TBR, either new additions or older ones.
I acquired 21 books this month. Of these:
- I have read 8.
- 8 books I purchased.
- 1 book I received as a gift.
- 12 books are review copies.
The TBR pile stands at 498 as of today. And okay, it went down one number but I’m still celebrating.
Books I read in June
- A Drop of Night – Stefan Bachmann
- The Dragons of Heavens – Alyc Helms
- Every Heart a Doorway – Seanan McGuire
- Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! – Laura Amy Schlitz
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making – Catherynne M. Valente
- 738 Days – Stacey Kade
- The Sea of Monsters – Rick Riordan
- A Fierce and Subtle Poison – Samantha Mabry
- A Murder at Rosamund’s Gate – Susanna Calkins
- And Only to Deceive – Tasha Alexander
- The Magical Fantastical Fridge – Harlan Coben
- Skip Beat 3-in-1 edition vol 8 – Yoshiki Nakamura
- Skip Beat 3-in-1 edition vol 9 – Yoshiki Nakamura
- Skip Beat 3-in-1 edition vol 10 – Yoshiki Nakamura
- Skip Beat 3-in-1 edition vol 11 – Yoshiki Nakamura
- The Gilded Shroud – Elizabeth Bailey
- Humans of New York: Stories – Brandon Stanton
- Thunder Boy Jr. – Sherman Alexie
- Silence is Goldfish – Annabel Pitcher
- Murder at Brightwell – Ashley Weaver
- I Remember You – Yrsa Sigurdardottir
- A Conspiracy of Kings – Megan Whalen Turner
- A Poisoned Season – Tasha Alexander
- Masks and Shadows – Stephanie Burgis
- The Titan’s Curse – Rick Riordan
- Midsummer Night – Deanna Raybourn
- Alex + Ada vol 2 – Jonathan Luna
- Alex + Ada vol 3 – Jonathan Luna
- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle – Betty MacDonald
- Silent Night – Deanna Raybourn
- The Invisible Library – Genevieve Cogman
- Twelfth Night – Deanna Raybourn
- Rapture – Sjohnna McCray
- Sword in the Stacks – Jenn Swann Downey
I got a decent number of awesome books in May. Here’s a pic:
Okay, another one: